Some of the benefits of two way radios are:
- These radios are very sturdy and continue to work even if they are dropped, submitted to the effects of rain, dust or sand and operate in extreme temperatures.
- They are very easy to use and require only the push of the button to talk.
- The hand held models can easily be attached to your belt or other accessories leaving your hands free to do other work.
- They can be used anywhere so you can carry the device around with you at all times.
- They are not expensive. You can communicate at very low costs without relying on any type of cell phone services. You do not have to pay any monthly charges, any roaming charges or choose from various monthly plans.
- Some two way radios also provide you with regular alerts about weather conditions and warn you of possible hazardous weather.
- You can choose from a variety of designs and models, such as handheld devices or wireless base station intercoms.
- The two way feature of these radios allows the caregivers to regularly check on the well being of the elderly. This is highly useful as the elderly who often have hearing problems may not be able to hear your voice from the other room.
- These radios also have inbuilt features like an LED torch and an LCD display.
- You can use them for short as well as long distance communication depending on the type of model you pick.
- Some models can easily be submersed in water for about half an hour or so without any damage, thus allowing elders to carry these radios while swimming or bathing.
- These two way radios are even ideal for usage by the physically disabled.
Apart from usage in households, two way radio systems are also highly useful in nursing homes. Here again the focus is on providing timely attention to the elderly and this is possible through instant communication.
A variety of two way radio models are available in the market and many of these offer several unique features. When choosing a two way radio system, you study the various features and their utility for taking care of the elderly. You need to choose one, which can be easily carried and operated by the elderly in your home. Before you purchase a system, check for its Ingress Protection or IP rating. The IP rating signifies the two way radio’s resistance to foreign objects and moisture. Look for a radio that is easy to hold and carry and features buttons that are clearly visible. These two way radios are available with varied price tags that range from under $50 to hundreds of dollars.
Once you’ve bought the system you need to take certain precautions to ensure that it operates effectively – ·
- First you should check that the antenna is firmly attached and operational.
- Always ensure that the batteries are fully charged. This will ensure that communications are clear. ·
- Test the signal quality from time to time to ensure that the two way radio works properly. The signals should be loud and clear for effective communication. This is even more important as older people may not be able to speak loudly.
- Always end your messages with ‘over’, when the final message is sent. This is an indication for the listener that your message is complete and that they can carry on with their work. ·
- Educate the elderly on how to use the two way radio system for communication.
Taking care of the elderly can be taxi on the care giver, both mentally and physically but can be simplified with the use of two way radio communication systems.